I wanted to update yall on my progress with Sensei Rick from the frugaltravelguy.com as I learn the travel hacking ways and also give you a few tips to help you travel hack your way into a free flight (or 3).
Today I took the plunge and applied for 4 travel credit cards (well technically 3, 1 I signed up for 2 days ago) based on Rick’s method. I signed up for…
- Barclay’s US Airways Premier World MasterCard (35k miles after 1st purchase, $89 annual fee waived for first year)
- American Express Gold Delta SkyMiles Visa (30k miles when you spend $500 in 3 months, $95 annual fee waived for first year)
- Citi Platinum Select/AAdvantage Visa (30k miles when you spend $1k in 3 months, $95 annual fee waived for first year)
- Chase Priority Club Select Visa (80k points when you spend $1k in 3 months $49 annual fee waived for first year)
Sooo, basically, I need to (somehow) spend $2500 in 3 months to get 95k miles in various airline programs, 80k points in a hotel rewards program, and a whole host of other perks like priority boarding on Delta, US Airways, and American and 1st free checked bag on Delta and American…oh wait, that’s rent and utilities. DONE.
The tips that I found to be most recurring between travel hacking websites were these…
- Respect your credit!
- Take time out between your credit card churns…at least 3 months between each batch
- Keep your longest cards to help keep your credit stable
- Look for low spending requirements and high bonuses
- In a batch, only apply for one card per whatyacallit (i.e. one chase card, one barclays, one AmEx, etc.). Sorry, having a brain fart.
- Pick cards with points that you’ll actually use such as (I picked Priority Club card bc if i play it right, I could end up with 16 free nights of accommodation.)
That’s it for now because my eyes are crossing. Happy travels!