I’m keeping a running tally of EVERYTHING I spend related to this ridiculous trip. Why, you may ask? Well, because when I was thinking about taking a RTW trip, I really wanted to see a breakdown of what a trip like this costs. I figure if I wanted it, another would-be traveler also wants it. 😀 Let me convince you to travel!
Not sure how I will ultimately divide this up, but for now, I’ll do a pre-trip section, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Southeast Asia, South America, Central America, and then break each leg up into what I spent for transportation, accommodation, food, activities, and miscellaneous. Let me know if you think it would be helpful to see it organized a different way, like by country or day or week. All costs will be in USD.
- 10 passport/visa photos = $18
- passport renewal = $110
- Australian Work and Holiday visa = $344
- Travel insurance = $291 for the first 6 months
- Immunizations = $506 + $244 + $103
- Flight from RDU to Lon = $676
- food, transportation, activities for 3 days London = $180
- Hostel, food, transportation, activities for 4 days Paris and 7 days Nice = $1,850
- Hostel, food, transportation, activities for 14 days all over Italy = $1,150
- Hostel, food, transportation, activities for a month in Spain = $1,060
- Hostel, food, transportation, activities, medical expenses for 14 days in Portugal = $500
- First 2 months in Melbourne = $2,850